Kadhi Chawal Recipe
Kadhi chawal is a universal favorite for all North Indians. This Indian yogurt curry with rice is prepared by putting fried fritters in yogurt-based curry. The deep-fried pakodas submerged in thick creamy yogurt curry make the experience unparallel. It is a recipe loved by almost everyone but made differently in every household. The kadhi is creamy and finger-licking delicious. It is accompanied by crunchy pakoras.
Ingredients for Kadhi:
- 1 1/2 cup Sour Curd
- 2 tblsp Besan (gramflour)
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder (Haldi)
- 1/4 tsp Fenugreek Seed
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 1 – 2 Green Chillies ( slit lengthwise)
- Salt to taste
Ingredients for pakodas
- 2/3 cup gram flour
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 onion (finely chopped)
- 1 tsp green chili paste
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves (finely chopped)
- Salt to taste
- Oil for deep frying
Method for making pakoras
- Take a mixing bowl; add gram flour along with chili powder, salt, baking soda, onions, green chili paste and coriander leaves.
- Add water little by little so that it can form a thick batter of dropping consistency.
- Heat oil in a kadai for deep frying, drop spoonful of the batter into it in small ball shapes. Keep turning them occasionally. Fry them until golden brown in color. Fry the pakoras in small batches. Drain them on kitchen paper to remove out the excess oil.
Method for making kadhi
- Take a big mixing bowl, whisk sour curd with gram flour (besan) and water. Make a smooth mixture without any lumps.
- Add red chili powder, turmeric and salt.
- Heat oil in a kadai, on low flame, add fenugreek seeds and asafetida. As soon as fenugreek seeds become pink add green chili, ginger paste and garlic paste. Stir well and add the sour curd mixer with one hand while stirring constantly with the other hand. Do not stop stirring otherwise lumps will form.
- Now lower down the heat stirring constantly till it starts boiling. Let it simmer for 10 -15 minute on low heat or till the kadhi gets thickened. We can adjust the consistency of kadhi using water depending on how we want.
- Switch off the flame and add the fried pakodas to the kadhi. Rest the kadhi for the pakoras to absorb the kadhi.
- Before serving the kadhi check the consistency. Sometimes the pakoras absorb lot of kadhi and the kadhi thickens. In that case, boil 1/2 cup of water and add to the kadhi and let the kadhi simmer for 5 mins. Do not stir too much or the pakoras will break.
- Before serving transfer the kadhi with pakoras to a dish.
For the final tempering :
- Heat ghee in a small pan, on low flame, and add hing, and mustard seeds. When the mustard seeds begin to crackle add jeera. When the jeera seeds also crackle add curry leaves and dried red chilly. Cook for 30 secs and then remove from heat. Now add kashmiri chili powder – you do it this way so as to not burn the powder and retain the color. Now pour the tadka over kadhi in the serving dish.